The 208 ToolBox and BOB expander
Add new inputs and outputs to your Music Easel easily and expand its potential without any modification.
Just plug, play and explore new deepnesses within your Easel. It couldn't be more simple.
The 208 ToolBox and BOB expander work with the original Music Easel, 208r rev2 clone and BEMI Music Easel, Easel-K or LEM-208.
They do NOT work with the 208r rev1 clone, the card slot wiring is not compatible, do not attempt.
Standard features :
- gold plated connector
- envelope times variable CV inputs with sliders
- switchable envelope looper with a pot delaying the retrig (like the "off" on Synthi, max delay time is about 7 sec) with CV input (thanks to a jumper the pot course can be selected : longer time fully CW or CCW), a LED shows the retrig pulse signal
- envelope trigger banana input (the socket is shared with the looper delay CV input, selection with internal switch)
- gate to trigger converter circuit to have the envelope working in transient mode with any pulse (can be bypassed if desired)
- CO waveshape amplitude variable CV input with pot
- CO waveshape switch CV
- MO hi/mid/lo range switch with multiturn trimmer allowing accurate transpose
- MO waveshape switch CV
- sequencer 2 stages or CV input switch
- individual gate output for each sequencer stage
- trigger output for all sequencer stages activated with the 208's pulse sequence switches
- random trigger input
- 3 way CV mixer with dedicated level for each input (1 is attenuator, 2 and 3 are attenuverters) and a LED for level display
- optional rear female edge connector to connect a program card, iProgram card, Easel Aux Card or other modules to come
- 3 unused emplacements in the top left corner for banana, switch, tinijax, minijack... and perfboard on the PCB to add other features and match each one's own needs, the "to prog" panel sockets can be used as well of course, up to 5 custom connections and extra circuits are possible
Optional features examples :
Feel free to ask for other options you have in mind. Reverb mix and outputs levels cannot be controlled via the 208 ToolBox, these settings are not voltage controllable in the 208's original design.
All routing options together are possible thanks to the BOB expander.
It can be plugged into the ToolBox's rear edge connector or standalone into the 208.
The BOB expander has its own optional rear female connector to host the ToolBox plugged horizontally (an extra support is recommended to relieve the edge connector) or other card.
Standard features :
- gold plated connector
- sequencer pulse in
- envelope inverted out / envelope trigger out (switchable)
- pulser pulse in
- pulser trig out (the internal short pulse occuring at the end of its cycle, not the ramp on yellow bananas)
- MO modulation switch CV
- LPG1 mode switch CV
- LPG2 mode switch CV
- LPG2 signal routing switch CV
- 3 customisable places with perfboard like on the ToolBox
How to get your 208 ToolBox or BOB expander ?
- Contact me for a custom built unit, price is in the 400€ range for a ToolBox and in the 120€ range for a BOB expander, depending on the optional features.
- DIY 208 ToolBox PCB set (circuit, front and rear panels) : 90€ including worldwide tracked shipping.
- DIY BOB expander PCB set (circuit, front and rear panels) : 40€ including worldwide untracked shipping.
Currently out of stock, will be available again in July, thanks.
- DIY kits from WeedywhizZ (Germany) or SynthCube (US).
Docs and support
Please doublecheck that the BOM and build notes you have are the latest revision.
Thanks for looking and have fun with the 208 ToolBox !
I assume no liability for personal injury or damage to equipment or loss of use caused directly or indirectly by the use of the 208 ToolBox and BOB expander.
The DIY PCBs and kits are for the ones able to solder and debug their own builds. Although I'm happy to help, I can't offer free support on all issues. Please understand remote troubleshooting of a wrong build might be very difficult and time consuming. In case of unsolvable problem, I could accept to service your unit if it's shipped to me.
I'm constantly improving my designs taking into consideration the users feedbacks or my own experience and some changes might occur without notice and can't be subject to complaint. I'm happy to answer any question, feel free to ask before ordering.